Do you know someone who wants to develop and execute thoughtful, strategic, integrated and forward-thinking communications strategies for WaterPower Canada? The ideal candidate will combine a high-level of professionalism, experience in digital communications and traditional media, and a passion for energy and environmental issues and politics. Continue reading for further details about the position, and on how to apply.
Career Opportunity – Communications and Public Relations Manager
(Permanent / Full-Time)
About WaterPower Canada (WPC)
WaterPower Canada (WPC) is the national trade association dedicated to representing the hydropower sector. We inform policy-makers, industry and the general public about our sector, represent our members in federal-level policy and regulatory initiatives, and provide our members and other stakeholders with opportunities to network and collaborate. The majority of electricity in Canada (60%) is produced by the sector that we represent by converting the kinetic energy in flowing water into electrical energy. As flowing water is an abundant renewable energy resource in Canada, the energy that our members supply is an essential part of the solution toward a low-carbon future. For further information about WPC, visit www.waterpowercanada.ca.
Working closely with all members of our small team, the Communications and Public Relations Manager will play a large role developing and executing thoughtful, strategic, integrated and forward-thinking communications strategies. They will grow awareness and understanding of our sector and of our association across digital and traditional media platforms. Responsibilities will include (but will not limited to):
- Developing and implementing an annual communications plan.
- Writing & content development for web, social media, newsletters, news releases etc.
- Managing the day-to-day website, and social media activities
- Building relationships with key contacts and partners
- Managing the development of reports and publications such as an Annual Report
- Marketing and promoting the Association’s annual conference and trade show.
- Under normal circumstances, travel within Canada could be expected up to 15% of the time to attend events and meetings.
The successful candidate
The ideal candidate will combine a high-level of professionalism, experience in digital communications and traditional media, and a passion for energy and environmental issues and politics.
Desired characteristics & attributes
- Creative, detail-oriented and marketing savvy
- Superior writing skills
- Good eye for (and interest in) graphic design
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly and concisely
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects at one time under pressure
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, agile organization
- Adaptable to a changing schedule, and ability to think on their feet
- Willingness to “pitch-in” and see tasks through from beginning to end
Education, skills & experience
- Degree in Communications, Public Relations, or related field required
- At least five years of communications, digital and social media experience
- Familiarity with digital platforms and tools such as mail chimp, word press, linkedin, twitter, SEO, etc.
- Solid understanding of media relations
- Bi-lingual (English and French) strongly preferred
- Energy and/or environment sector experience preferred
Do you have other characteristics, attributes, skills or experience that make you a great fit for this role? Please do tell us about them.
Please send your resume and a cover letter that explains why you are well suited for this role, and why it would be the right career move for you to firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday, February 26 with “Application for Communications and Public Relations Manager” in the subject line. As we expect to receive a large number of applications, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. We thank all candidates for their interest in this role.